Happy International Transgender Visibility Day!
While I’m regularly writing about groundbreaking and important transgender themed movies and television series, today is a day where everyone should take special note of all transgender people and make sure they are seen.
Here are five titles of film and TV shows that have gone out of their way to make sure transgender people are seen. Check them all out right here on XFINITY TV and XFINITY ON DEMAND. In no particular order….
1. “Transparent“: While many transgender stories focus on the younger generation, the critic and audience acclaimed series follows the journey of Maura Pfefferman (Jeffrey Tambor) as she finally embraces her truth and begins her journey to being a woman. The show focuses on not only Maura’s journey but the journeys of her ex (Judith Light, never better), kids (Amy Landecker, Jay DuPlass and Gaby Hoffman) as well as everyone else in their world. Hilarious at times, heartbreaking at times, the show hits all the marks perfectly and, yes, teaches you a thing or two about life along the way. Watch Season One with XFINITY ON DEMAND.
2. “Tangerine“: The indie film shot on an Iphone doesn’t come off as amateurish in the least. Instead, the intimacy as we follow two young trans women living on the streets of Los Angeles will make you laugh at times and then also touch your heart. Spirit Award winner Mya Taylor and her co-star Kitana Kiki Rodriguez are stars in the making in the film, directed by Sean S. Baker. Watch the film with XFINITY ON DEMAND. Check out the trailer here:
3. “Transcendent“: Reality TV has embraced the trans community and this Fuse series gave us a group of fabulous trans women all working together in San Francisco. Career, dating and frank discussions about when you tell someone you’re trans are all explored in this series. You’ll fall in love with the girls, who are sassy but also real people who share every aspect of their lives. Watch episodes for free with XFINITY ON DEMAND and be sure to catch Season 2 starting June 8 at 11:30PT/10:30 on Fuse.
4. “I Am Cait“: Caitlyn Jenner does not make it easy to like or support her but her truth is her truth so there’s something to that, right? On the one hand, she’s undoubtedly the most visible trans person in the world so everything she says and does means something. So what do we in the LGBT community do when she’s embracing Republicans, who traditionally don’t put LGBT concerns on any agendas they may have? That said, the show is compelling, especially in its current second season, as we’re not only hearing Caitlyn’s voice but those other trans women who are alongside her like Candis Cayne and Jenny Boylan. Fascinating television, to say the least even when you can’t stand the words coming out of Jenner’s mouth. Episodes available on XFINITY TV.
In this clip, Caitlyn shows that she may need a little help with her flirt game. Can she take the "back seat," as friend Candis Cayne suggests?
5. “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert”: An oldie but a goodie but take special note of Terence Stamp’s portrayal of Bernie/Bernadette and her journey at a time when trans people were more ridiculed than supported. Watch the movie right here on XFINITY TV.
For more on transgender visibility, visit the Transvisibility.com website.
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.