The man with the "golden voice" returns and Chadwick Boseman is Marvel's next superhero. Plus, there's my watchlist and what's hot (Demetria Lucas' big day) and not (scandalous talk show guests).
Even though Ice Cube has been a public figure for nearly three decades, it seems that we only get to see one side of him: a serious, angry guy who’s barely removed from his gangsta rapper past. I know there’s more to Ice Cube and his recent “Sesame Street” appearance showed this. And I love it! Check out why his appearance is everything!
1. He’s smiling. SMILING! Now, I’ve seen Ice Cube smile a few times before. But as his last two “Jimmy Kimmel Live” appearances showed, he’s known for being a no-nonsense, angry black man. This lets people know that he has a playful side.
2. Elmo called him “Mr. Cube.” Aww. My smile got just as wide as Mr. Cube’s when I heard this. So adorable.
3. It was educational. This is an obvious given that this is an educational children’s show. But any time there’s an opportunity to show a brotha (or a sista) on TV in a positive light, I’m all for it. So him schooling Elmo on the definition of the word “astounding” was cool with me.
4. There’s magic! Yes, Mr. Cube showed a few “astounding” tricks. He made a giant penny disappear, a baby dinosaur appear out of a top hat and then changed himself into “an actual ice cube” and then back into his human form. Yay!
5. He hugs Elmo. Like his smile, this showed a softer side of the married father of four that the public rarely gets to see. Astounding!
Watch Ice Cube and Elmo on “Sesame Street” below
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/NV-WykC62LE 580 476]
Ah, the man with the “golden voice” has resurfaced
OK, this story made me smile. I had wondered what happened to the man with the golden voice. Was he still alive? If so, was he sober? Did any of those media jobs pan out for him? Well, thanks to the “Today” show I got my answers. If you remember, nearly four years ago, Ted Williams, then a homeless panhandler who was an ex-radio announcer, found instant fame after a video of him and his golden pipes went viral. He had the perfect radio voice! And Ted and his voice were everywhere, I mean everywhere. He was doing several interviews, got major voiceover gigs and several job offers poured in. But just as fast as his fame came the drama did, too. Ted’s long struggle with substance abuse led to him being estranged from his family. He appeared on “Dr. Phil” with his adult children and that, from my recollection, was a messy reunion. The “Dr. Phil’ appearance also revealed that he was using again. After several weeks, he seemed to have faded from the headlines just as soon as he’d arrived. But now, he’s back, sort of. It turns out that Ted has been clean and sober for 22 months (yay!) and is doing some voiceover work to keep the lights on. His journey has been very bumpy. Watch his “Today” show interview below to find out more.
Man with “golden voice” faces financial hardship
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Today/6997291302039453112/348330563532/Man-With-%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98Golden-Voice%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99-Faces-Financial-Hardship/embed 580 476]
Chadwick Boseman to play Black Panther
Well, many comic book fans received the confirmation they’ve been waiting for: Chadwick Boseman will play Black Panther on screen. Yep, Chadwick, who’s played James Brown (“Get on Up’) and Jackie Robinson (“42”)in film biopics, will be Marvel Studios’ first solo lead of color (I remember Chadwick jokingly brushed off my question about playing Black Panther when I interviewed him at the American Black Film Festival last June). Oh, and he also secured a five-year movie deal with Marvel with the first “Black Panther” film scheduled to release on Nov. 3, 2017 (dang, that’s a pretty accurate date!), according to The Hollywood Reporter. Good for you, Mr. Boseman. The Black Panther’s alter ego is T’Challa, “the head of the fictional African nation of Wakanda,” THR shared. Read more here about his latest venture and check out my interview with him below.
Chadwick Boseman talks to XFINITY CelebrateBlackTV.com about “Get on Up”
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/American-Black-Film-Festival/6223866689591892112/310147651873/Get-On-Up/embed 580 476]
The Hot List: Who/What’s Hot, Not
HOT: Pope Francis’ declaration about evolution and the Big Bang theory (Yeah…).
NOT: The guests on talk shows like “Maury,” “Steve Wilkos” and several others (Seriously, where do they find these people?!).
HOT: “Blood, Sweat & Heels” star Demetria Lucas marrying her new hubby Greg (Good for you both!).
NOT: Tameka “Tiny” Harris (wife of Tip “T.I.” Harris and ex-Xscape member) permanently changing her eye color from dark brown to “ice gray” (I get it’s her prerogative and all but I think she looked fine before. Plus, wasn’t she afraid of the risks?!).
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.