Tyler Perry’s living the life.
He’s a movie mogul who’s always busy.
He has a baby on the way.
And on Friday he has a new non-“Madea”-related film coming out. Tyler stars alongside Ben Affleck in “Gone Girl,” based on Gillian Flynn’s best-selling crime thriller of the same name (and the book Olivia Pope was reading in the “Scandal” season 4 premiere). Tyler plays Tanner Bolt, a high-powered defense attorney called to help Ben’s character Nick Dunne. Critics say Tyler is good in the film.
The writer-director-actor visited “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” Tuesday to talk about the new film, which opens Friday. I’ve seen Jimmy interview Tyler a couple of times and they seem to have a few things in common, making for a fun Q&A. I learned a few more things about Mr. Perry that I didn’t know before. That’s why I’m going to share the 7 facts from the sit down that stood out to me. Read it and then watch the interview below and see if anything else stands out for you.
Watch the “Gone Girl” trailer
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Gone-Girl/5694516408818137112/228657219594/Gone-Girl/embed 580 476]
1. Tyler confirms that he is indeed expecting a baby. “I’m excited,” he tells Jimmy. You may recall that the news broke last week that Tyler is expecting a baby with his on-again/off-again girlfriend model Gelila Bekele. Jimmy, who has a 15-month-old daughter, talks to Tyler about preparing for his new bundle of joy. “I’ve got lots of books. Oprah’s sending books, everybody’s sending books. They must be worried, think I’m going to be an awful father,” Tyler says.
2. Stevie Wonder performed at Tyler’s 45th birthday party not too long ago. “A very elegant, classy event” Jimmy says as he shares a photo from Tyler’s party. Yeah, it looked pretty cool.
3. Tyler’s thrilled to be cast in “Gone Girl.” “It’s so great, I don’t know how the hell I got in but I’m enjoying it,” Tyler tells Jimmy. The “Tonight Show” host, who’s read the book and seen the film, agrees, saying “you’re so great that you out-Cochranned Johnny Cochran,” of Tyler’s role as defense attorney Tanner Bolt.
4. Tyler took the role of student during “Gone Girl” filming. The film is directed by David Fincher, whose work also includes “The Social Network,” “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”and “Panic Room.” “His body of work is unbelievable. He’s a brilliant guy,” Tyler says adding that being on set with him and fellow actor-director-writer Ben Affleck was an education. “For me it was like going to school. He and Ben would be having conversation, and I would be like, OK, let me write that down.”
5. Madea is never too far away. So, when describing how David’s looking for “nuance” when directing, Tyler jokes that he never heard of the word. “Hell naw I ain’t neva heard of no nuance,” Tyler says in his Madea voice. Of course, Jimmy and the audience love it.
6. Tyler loves, LOVES remote control plane. “I’ve got it bad. I’m like the Jay Leno of remote control planes. I need help, I’m a hoarder,” he says. Jimmy shows a photo of Tyler standing next to a remote control plane that’s taller than the 6’5 movie mogul (that looks like a small engine plane to me but whatevs…). Tyler tells Jimmy that he flies that plane on his farm in Georgia that’s also equipped with a small runway. Must be nice.
7. Tyler’s a sport. He plays the jumper drone game with Jimmy, because you know Jimmy’s all about his games. I won’t explain it other than to say it involves controlling drones with iPads. Watch it for yourself to see who wins.
Watch Tyler Perry on “The Tonight Show”
[iframe http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-Tonight-Show-Starring-Jimmy-Fallon/4759351141290148112/336115267768/Tyler-Perry%2C-Miles-Teller%2C-Lucinda-Williams/embed?skipTo=793 580 476]
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.