I’ll start this out by saying that ABC’s long-running series “Once Upon A Time” is not the gayest show on the air. But you’d think it would be since so many of the men on the show are wearing tights, right?
But for what the long-running ABC series lacks in LGBT-ness, it still is an entertaining nod to the fairy tales that we all read growing up and, to its credit, the show did have the character of Mulan (Jamie Chung) clearly crushing on the very straight Aurora (Sara Bolger) and while sexuality never became the focal point of the show, it was a welcome addition and we can only hope the show finds more ways to include LGBT characters. (I actually wrote about Chung addressing the Mulan and Aurora relationship for AfterEllen.com earlier this year).
As for the guys, gay or not, there’s a bevy of good looking men to keep an eye on while watching the show, which returns for season four on Sunday with characters from Frozen” popping up in Storybrooke and mixing it up with our gang.
But who is the Hottest Of the Hot of the "Once Upon A Time" men? Let's find out!
7. Scott Michael Foster as Kristoff. We meet Kristoff in Sunday’s episode so it’s a bit soon to see how much sex appeal he’ll have but Foster, who has a big fan base from his days as Cappie on the ABC Family series “Greek,” has a quirky, fun charm all his own so he’s sure to bring that to the role of Kristoff. And, who knows, the show does tend to keep people around if they strike the fancy of the audience, right?
6. Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Gold: Who would ever think that dastardly Rumpelstiltskin could be sexy but that’s exactly what Carlyle has brought to the role from day one. When Rumple connected with Belle (Emilie de Ravin), fans swooned and ‘Rumbelle’ was born. Think some of Rumple’s sexiness will die off now that he and Belle are married? Don’t count on it!
5. Michael Socha as the Knave Of Hearts/Will Scarlett: Sure, the “Once Upon A Time: Wonderland” series didn’t take off as some hoped but thankfully we haven’t seen the last of the memorable Socha, whose mischievous sexiness was the main reason to watch the show. Socha isn’t in the season premiere so we’ll have to wait to see how he’ll turn up and who he might be paired with but he’s worth the wait, right?
Here are the first 7 minutes of Sunday’s season premiere of “Once Upon A Time:”
4. Julian Morris as Prince Phillip: While we’ve only gotten Morris a few episodes at a time since the start of the series, he’s always a welcome face to see. While we’re not sure if and when he’ll be a part of the “Frozen” chapter of this season, we can only hope, right? Wouldn’t you like to see more of Prince Phillip?
3. Sean Maguire as Robin Hood: The show knows how to cast their icons, don’t they? When Sean Maguire showed up last season as Robin Hood, he had an instant spark with Lana Parrilla’s Regina but conveyed both a heroic side with a vulnerable side that was just as captivating. Now that Maid Marian is back, it looks like the Robin/Regina coupling is stalled but hopefully he’ll be sticking around so the two can get back together.
2. Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan: It’s hard to imagine anyone else playing Prince Charming so effectively but Dallas has it all – the looks, the charm, the occasional swashbuckling skills and noble hero traits that we see weekly in Charming. Dallas has also shown he can play anything the writers throw at him with layers to the character that may not even be on the page. His on-and-off screen pairing with Ginnifer Goodwin (who are new parents on the show and in real life!) is as much of the glue that holds the show together as anything else. And who else can sell being the biological father to adult Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) than Dallas and Goodwin?
1. Colin O’Donoghue as Captain Hook/Killian: He grabbed our attention from the first time he appeared on the show back in season 2 and it didn’t take long for the show to know they had another sexy scoundrel in their midst. And pairing him with Jennifer Morrison’s Emma Swan was genius given their character differences, which somehow make them the perfect match. Like Rumple and even Regina (Lana Parrilla), Hook has a hard time staying good when he’s been bad for so long so don’t expect that to change anytime soon though his heart is currently with Miss Swan. #CaptainSwanForever!
“Once Upon A Time” airs Sundays at 8pm on ABC.
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.
Got a comment for the LGBT site? Tweet @JimHalterman with your question.